Leaders guide your culture… for better or worse
Some people are born natural leaders, but most are not. Workers will follow leaders with clear interpersonal skills and are in lockstep with company values. These skills come with proper training, mentoring and coaching. Proper training provides the skills to motivate their teams, keeping morale and productivity at all time highs. This training is especially important for recently promoted supervisors and managers.
Without training, inexperienced leaders will use positional tactics to force people to work and usually result in poor work teams with subpar productivity.
Bringing out the best in your leaders will provide:
- Leaders that take the initiative to problem solve and create a positive work environment.
- Common skills within the company help workers mentor and coach each other.
- Workers that stay organized, make faster decisions and have the skills to support their teams or projects.
- Skilled workers that produce without managers looking over their shoulders.
- Workers that make the transition from individual contributor to supervisor quickly and easily.
Steve’s proprietary methods of training leaders is a result of decades of experience with hundreds of America’s most successful companies. Steve begins with interviewing workers. His training is tailored to each unique situation.
Lean Leadership Management Training: Areas of focus
Value Stream Mapping
Value stream maps help workers understand where costs truly are in the process and what waste can be eliminated to save money.
How Leadership Initiatives implements value stream mapping:
- A team of 4-12 people are brought together (Between 1 -5 days depend on situation)
- The team is trained on what is a value stream, what information is needed in the current situation and how the map will be put together.
- Each team member will be give task to gather information and bring it back to be put on the map.
- I will coach the team as they build the value stream map in the current state.
- I will then work with team members on how to look for waste in the value stream.
- I will then coach the team into building a future state value stream map.
- The final step is to design projects that can be done to improve cost and eliminate waste and present it to management for approval.
- Project are then undertaken to improve the value stream and reduce waste and cost.
- I will be available for remote zoom team meetings to continue if needed.
Quality Circle / Kaizen Leader Training
Quality Circles and Kaizen are teams working on a problem that needs to eliminated or fixed. The difference is Quality Circles are teams that are usually a work team wanting to learn and work as a unit to make progress on an issue that is in their own area over time. Kaizen teams are usually a team that is assigned a project to work full time and fix a problem fast.
The power of Quality Circles and Kaizen teams
Empowering a team to use each member’s synergy to build a better solution to an issue is to have them play meaningful roles in their organizations, hence improving the quality of their work.
How Leadership Initiatives implements Quality Circles and Kaizen training
- Either group leaders or entire teams are brought together for training
- They are trained on a step by step process that will drive them to their solution
- Step one is understanding what the actual focused issue they working on.
- Determine what is causing the issue, and proving the cause
- Look for possible solutions to eliminate the problem
- Select the best solution
- Present the findings and solution(s) to management for approval.
- If approval is given, the team participates in the labor to implement the solution
- Solution is live tested to complete the project.
5S stands for: Sort, Set in Order, Shine, Standardize, Sustain. It is a system for organizing spaces into efficient, effective and safe environments. The methodology promotes keeping everything clean and in its place, resulting in less time wasted, less injuries, reduction in overstock of materials and improved worker morale.
3 steps of 5S
- Work teams go through a one hour training class
- Each worker is tasked with a area or office to complete a 5s improvement
- Workers report to supervisors what their 5s project was and how they will sustain the implementation
5S and Suggestion Systems
Suggestion Systems are a way for workers to share the ideas that they have for the company. There are great Suggestion Systems if done well, but many Suggestion Systems fail if improperly managed.
We believe that every worker, no matter what their daily job is, has at least a million dollars of ideas that could save the company money.
Implementing Suggestion Systems
- A discussion is held with company executives and HR to talk about the feasibility of the Suggestion Systems and what motivational ideas can be used.
- Implementation of some sort of form or electronic way for workers to present their ideas for approval.
- Management approval is sought/given.
- Workers must participate with the implementation of the project. If others are needed, managers need to find time to get everyone together to complete the project.
Visual Plant (Factory)
Visual Plant refers to the visual cues utilized in a Lean environment to quickly and accurately share production, quality and safety numbers that are useful to plant floor or office workers.
This empowers workers with the performance knowledge within their work area. Workers can help improve work areas when they know what areas are suffering.
Implementing Visual Plant
- Discussions are held with Management to decide what information would be relevant to the workers and how is the best way to share it visually with them (Electronically, Paper, boards, Etc)
- Forms of visual sharing is purchased or acquired.
- Discussions are held with teams on WHAT-WHY-HOW of the boards. If workers think other numbers or charts would be helpful, those ideas are also discussed and implemented.
- Owners of the numbers must update the visual boards daily
- The board is audited once a month for completeness.
Operation Standards is a formal written step-by-step description of each process of either production or office process. Most customers usually require these while doing PPAP or FMEAs. And this is not something that is already built.
Operation Standards are only useful if the workers agree on the steps and are used to keep the process in check. If something in the process changes, the changes are noted and workers sign off that they know of the change.
Implementing Operation Standards
- Using the actual workers to develop the steps of the process including the quality standards – they are written and placed in some form of file to be retrieved or reviewed.
- Process standards are then put into electronic format and stored for future use.
- When changes occur to a process, a change form is filled out and the process steps are changed electronically.
- An audit should be performed once a month to confirm correctness.
Team Building / Communication Exercises
Team Building / Communication exercises are a group of fun participative exercises that a team does to learn trust and work together.
Whether it is a new work team, a project team or any other group of people that have to work together to attain a goal, these exercises are to learn about each other and grow trust levels in a fun setting. Teams that have good trust and communication skills achieve 3 times the normal work if done in a group setting.
Implementing Team Building / Communication exercises
- Call for a free consultation
- Arrange a time and place for the exercise to commence.
- Team members go through the exercises
- Each team will give feedback of their learning after each exercise.
Leadership Skills is specialized training for those who have people for which they are responsible for their safety and productivity. These are short segments for learning impactful methods of increasing motivation, morale and productivity.
New and even seasoned managers or supervisors are always looking for skills and techniques they can use to motivate their work teams. But, don’t underestimate the change an individual experiences when being promoted to a managing role for the first time – having a good leadership skillset goes a long way to keeping themselves out of trouble.
Levels of leadership training vary greatly with each individual
The competency level of your management’s leadership skills is directly reflected in your morale and profitability. We offer leadership training classes via zoom, existing online webinars and we also provide ongoing coaching packages as needed. Our subject matter includes:
- Communicating in todays electronic world
- Leading others
- Meetings that make sense
- How to delegate without pulling rank
- Priority and Managing your time
- Resolving conflicts
- Making rational decisions
- Stopping potential problems
Every company has issues that are unique to their own situation
Companies are made up of various people utilizing emerging technologies in an ever-changing economic landscape. It’s likely you have some unique problems and circumstances.
Steve specializes in designing and delivering company-specific skill building sessions for the situations you wish to address. Please contact us for a discussion how to best solve your issue.
Fill out our form and provide enough information to get our conversation started. You will be on your step to improving the backbone of your company.
The Process for Results-Oriented Leadership Training
- Meet with person requesting the training to understand desired outcomes. There is also a short discussion about worker performance systems.
- Customize the training class(es) for the specific skill(s) required.
- Training is then scheduled and is delivered.
- Feedback/evaluation is then provided to the person who requested the training.